Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sigh

Have you ever had one of those days that was supposed to be great but ended up being a huge pile of....well you get my point.

Not too long ago our TC sponsors hid a cache in our honor named "One for the Nav" NW of Big Cedar Oklahoma in the Ouachita Forest. The Winding Stair Area of the Ouachitas is amazingly beautiful. We were very honored to have a cache named after us and were counting the days until the opportunity would arise for us to go hunt it. When my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday I immediately replied "Lets go hunt that cache!"

I've been looking forward to today for over two weeks. It was going to be perfect. Even the weather was going to be a comfortable 70 degrees on my perfect day. Just my wife and I out hiking in the woods and getting to hunt a cache named for us. Perfect.

After the kids were on the bus we started our journey. We stopped along the way for some McBreakfast and just talked. That's a treat when you have four kids and before I knew it we were almost to Big Cedar. I enjoyed watching the cache get closer and closer on the GPS and felt my excitement grow as I made the turn onto highway 63 in Big Cedar. That's when the car died.

I thought for the briefest of moments that just maybe I could get it started again. However the sound of metal grinding informed me that we were not going to be driving anywhere soon. We were lucky enough to have a nice couple stop and let us use their cell phone to call a wrecker. We ended up hanging out at a very nice memorial to JFK alongside the highway for about two hours before the wrecker arrived and brought our broken car and ourselves back to the house. I also discovered that in my excitement to leave this morning I accidentally left our camera on top of the car. Just another little nugget of joy to add to my perfect day.

So now we're on foot for who knows how long. Most likely, barring a miracle, a least a few months. I know sooner or later we'll be back in the game though. I hate my birthday! LOL.

2 comments:

flannelman said...

Man that's a bummer. What went wrong?

Christopher said...

'Lil Blue threw a rod which caused the timing belt to slip. So sad. The poor thing was in pretty bad shape though. It was time for a rest. We got another set of wheels so we're back in action!